Updated: Apr 5
From April 2022 all VAT registered business must follow the rules for Making Tax Digital.
MTD - Making Tax Digital - Introduction
Businesess will be require to keep their records digitally and use software to submit their VAT Return.
It's mean you will have to keep VAT Records digitally.
What records do you have to keep digitally?
- business name and address
- Vat number
- Vat scheme if you use one
- Vat on good or/and services you supply or receive
- Vat rate charged
- reverse Vat transactions
How to keep digital records?
You can use compatible software package that connect to HMRC systems.
Ask your accountant if they use one.
If you use more than one make sure all of them are linked, for example:
- use formulas in spreadsheets
- keep records of your email
- keep records on a portable device
- import and axport XML and/or CSV files
- downloading and uploading files
Invoices and Supplier bills:
1. If you type selected data from invoice into your software you still must keep oryginal of invoice.
2. If you scan invoice into your software and all relevent date is visible on the scan you do not have to keep orginal invoice unless it is require for another purpose.
More informations about keeping records digitally you can check on gov.uk, clik the link.
If you want to register for MTD for VAT by yourself please follow the next steps:
Find compatibile software that lets you submit VAT Returns.
You can use HMRC tool to find software ready fo MTD. Clik here
Sign up for Making Tax Digital for VAT. You can do it by cliking here
What you will need:
1. Your VAT number
2. Company Number (if you run Limited Company)
3. UTR (if you are self-employed)
4. National Insurance Number (if you are self-employed)
Veify you email
You will aslo have to provide you email address and verify it so HMRC will be able to send you all corespondence electronically. You must accept it otherwise you wll not be register for MTD.
Waiting for confirmation email. Within 72 hours you will receive an email from HMRC that confirm you are registered for MTD for VAT and you will be able to submit you Vat Return via compatibile software.
Before sending Vat Returns to HMRC you will have to authorise your software. If you do not know how to do it ask you software provider.
You can also ask your accountant to do it for you.
Remember once you sign up for MTD for VAT you will not be able to submit your Vat Return using your Vat online account.